Tiger Woods Addresses LA Wildfires Impact on Genesis Tournament

Tiger Woods Addresses LA Wildfires Impact on Genesis Tournament image

Devastating wildfires in Southern California have put next month’s Genesis Invitational in doubt, with Tiger Woods saying the focus right now needs to be on helping affected communities.

“It’s just sad,” Woods said Tuesday after his TGL match in South Florida. “I’ve known a couple of people who lost everything.”

Name

Events

Top 10

Money

Flag Tiger Woods

378

199

$120,999,166

The $20 million PGA Tour event, scheduled for Feb. 13-16 at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, benefits Woods’ foundation. While the historic course hasn’t been damaged, the surrounding area has been hit hard by the fires.

For Woods and Max Homa, both Southern California natives, this hits close to home.

“Max and I have grown up there. We’re SoCal kids,” Woods said. “Right now, we’re not really focused on the tournament. It’s more about what we can do to help everyone who’s struggling, who has lost homes and had their lives changed.”

The PGA Tour told players last week they’re watching the situation closely. There’s a chance the tournament could be moved to a different location.

Homa, who won the event previously and plays on Woods’ TGL team, put it in perspective: “It seems silly at the moment to be overly focused on a golf tournament when people are still living in a bit of fear in SoCal.”

Woods hasn’t played in an official tournament since last July’s Open Championship. He had back surgery in the fall before making a return at December’s PNC Championship with his son Charlie.

When asked about his own game, Woods was straightforward: “It’s my game is not very good,” he admitted.

But that’s clearly not his main concern right now, as meetings are scheduled to figure out how to best help those affected by the fires.

Robert Jenkovich avatar
Robert Jenkovich
3 months ago